Freitag, März 13, 2009

New This Week, Parts 10 and 11

Sorry for the delay, again. I spent last weekend in Amsterdam, came back pretty late on Sunday, and didn't feel like sitting down any more to write an article here. And believe me, since the beginning of this week I have hardly been able to breathe properly, being faced with all the things that life is throwing at me this week.

But let's start with last week's news.


1. Party: BLUF Rough Party, Church Club, Amsterdam
Photo courtesy of the Church Club website.
BLUF is an acronym for "Breeches, Leather and Uniforms", and when I went to Amsterdam to visit a good friend of mine, he and I went to their first party taking place at the Church Club in Amsterdam. Although it wasn't as bad as it certainly could've been, it was also not quite exciting or great either. We left after a couple of hours for the Argos bar, like usual.



2. Café: Downtown, Amsterdam

We also went for coffee at the Downtown, a nice-and-easy gay bar/café in Amsterdam.

3. Clothing: Pink Hat
Yes, I actually got myself a pink hat with a plaid pattern at a second-hand store in Amsterdam. It cost only seven euros, and it's great for a statement. And it looks cool. :)

---

This week has been very hectic in comparison.

1. Office: Boss Takes a "Time-Out", Wife Mentally Ill
Photo courtesy of Idol
The atmosphere at the office had been bad since one of my two bosses brought his wife in to assist the company. That was in October if I recall correctly. On Monday morning I get into the office and see that all his stuff is gone. He's in his office so I ask him what's going on. "I'm taking a time-out", he says, and leaves without telling anyone whether or when he's coming back. Probably the e-mail that his crazy-ass wife sent to some colleagues on the Sunday prior to that was supposed to answer our questions. The e-mail reads like this (names are replaced).

--------------------------------------------
Subject: The Pilot Is Leaving The Ship

Sadly, there are too many reasons for this:

Andy cannot even provide the financial security, and wants to declare bankruptcy. He was not willing to create the business plan in time that Daniel had suggested already in September 2008 and November 2008 in order to get credit from the banks during hard times (and for the realization of new products, one needs a lot of stamina).

Andy is blocking Daniel's business ideas so that through this, one or the other sale got lost, and unquietness made its way into the office. Not even the cleaning woman could be replaced because Andy has a thing with her. All that is sick if one of his beloved ones calls me in January, crying, and explains to me that she was pregnant from Andy, and that she was supposed to abort.

Andy is working embarrassingly erroneously. Daniel could not compensate all of it, and brought me into the office for his relief. We had to watch out all the time that our company image was not ridiculed. As another example, I recall the article on Limiteds in which he, among other things, used a wrong quote like, "Louis 24 said, 'I am the first servant of the state.' (Correct is, Louis 24 never existed. It was Louis 14. And had Louis 14 seen himself as servant of the state, the French Revolution of 1789 had never happened. Correct is Friedrich the Great.) We could prevent that. However, it is only one example of many (Please don't wear children's sweaters as a CEO). No wonder that we reacted annoyed, assuming that the parking space ticket list was for the financial authorities. We remember the legal guide, or shouldn't it rather be called sorrow guide. In the meantime it has been confirmed to us from competent sides several times that the one created by Ruby and Daniel W. is the better one without any limitation.

The last straw was Andy on 26 February 2009 when he declared to us that he as the money-giver expected of us that everything had to go according to his will. Even erroneous press information didn't matter in that regard. The main thing was that the atmosphere at the office was good. Otherwise he'd shut the company down. We could not make him understand that success can also allow for good atmosphere at the office. No, for him, good atmosphere meant that he could be horny at the office all the time and live upon it. I tried several times to point out to him the difference between smirk jokes with sexual background (I know a lot of them myself) and those with arrogant sexual background. Also the remark that Daniel acquired high-class clients and that we'd have to position ourselves accordingly high (and not make a sequel to Sex and the City), vanished in Andy's probably hollow head. To sum it up, the difference in class between Daniel and Andy cannot be overcome. Too bad!

We, Daniel and I, are now planning a time-out. I will already on Monday not come into the office any more. I would like to thank you, Chris, for your high-quality work and your warm-hearted being (Daniel will help you find another job). It'd be nice if we could see each other again some time. Zach, we will see each other at the next Creamcheese party, and I thank you for your friendliness and support. Ruby, you are a promising talent with really good carrier prospectives (Call us some time, will you?).

With love

Yours
Jenny
--------------------------------------------


I won't comment any part of this mail, other than that the claims she made about Andy having things with the cleaning woman and demanding his ex-girlfriend to abort are not true. I much rather suggest you check out the Wikipedia article on Borderline personality disorder.

Anyway, Daniel left the office on Monday, and as a consequence, I started calling our clients and leads to check on them.

2. Job Interview in Frankfurt
Photo courtesy of apenny
As a consequence of the mess that Daniel and his mentally ill wife had left, I actually got a job interview in Frankfurt the next day. From what I can tell, it went very well, and the company seems to be very cool, innovative and communicative. And growing and making good profit in this time of crisis, not to leave out this important detail.

3. Demoscene: Speech material in French
Photo courtesy of flrnt
My French Demoscene friends whom I help organize Numerica ArtParty#2 in France this weekend, decided to have me say my material in French instead of English, and since my French is not particularly good, it's taking me quite an effort to learn the text by heart.


4. Software: Dropbox
Finally I have been shown a piece of software that allows me to store certain data online so that I have access to it! Dropbox automatically stores and syncs data so that, e.g., you don't end up with three Keepass databases any more, one on your private desktop PC, one on your work PC and one on your private laptop. Also, pretty much the same way Microsoft Groove enables you to collaborate with several people online at one virtual workspace, Dropbox lets you have a shared directory structure with others, allowing all y'all to work on documents simultaeously. This is especially neat if you have to travel a lot, and want to spare yourself the hassle of trying to update documents and directories every time.

Have a good week!

1 Kommentar:

Anonym hat gesagt…

My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!