Mittwoch, November 12, 2008

Prop 8: Another of the US's confessions of failure

Same-sex marriage has been a huge issue in the US for a long time, for a reason I have never understood. I will spare you details on why I think it's stupid to be against it, not only although but when you're heterosexual. Instead, I will let Wanda Sykes, one of my favorite comedians who is also responsible for the "Turd in car" prank call that some of you might remember, do all the talking.



In California, same-sex marriage used to be legal. Used to be. It's not any more now after Proposition 8 on an amendment to the Californian constitution has passed. This proposition was essentially meant to take gays' right to marry away. When I was in San Diego I saw the movement, the struggling, I saw all the helpers and enthusiasts, and frankly, I never took it into serious consideration that Prop 8 would pass. Never. It was just too stupid and ignorant to pass, especially in a progressive state like California.

My fellow human-beings, Prop 8 has passed. And again, instead of listening to me rambling about why it is stupid beyond comprehension, I will leave you with a comment that the noble Keith Olbermann recently gave on MSNBC.



Thank you, Mr Olbermann. In times like this, with your people being ignorant and resistant to any sort of reason, I personally bow down to your enthusiasm and courage.

We all owe you. Big time.
And by "we" I mean everybody with a brain and heart that still work.

Keine Kommentare: