Freitag, Oktober 31, 2008

That Stupid City Race Contest

Change was bound to come. When I had made up my mind to fly to San Diego, Amalia was already a point behind in the city race contest. My ex Hartmut had generously delivered London on a plate in July. Then, after my three-week holiday in California I came back in October, with two more points in my pockets: San Diego and Los Angeles. Her holiday in Spain, however, only resulted in one. Valencia. From Amalia's narration of her vacation I could tell that her Valencia point was about as weak as my Los Angeles one but regardless of whether both points counted or not, she was two points behind.

She had sent me a postcard from Spain saying that she hadn't scored a point at all yet but enjoyed just relaxing and hanging out with the girls. Yeah right, that's so her. And on top of the already obvious lie, “hanging out with the girls” actually did mean hanging out here. No drinking or partying because Daisy from the Lüneburger Heide, one of her old school girlfriends that she used to party and booze with, was pregnant and couldn't drink. What else can you do in the middle of nowhere?!? :)

So after her vacation she still hadn't even caught up. My victory, however, didn't feel good at all. It never does when your opponent lags behind a lot. 

Without a word about it, neither of us wanted to talk about the contest any more. She didn't complain, and I didn't rub her face in it. What used to connect us and provide us with tons of laughter until our bellies would hurt, had turned into a meaningless and boring ritual.

Not quite sure how things will look next year, there is a chance that this will have been the last year we're doing the contest.

Keine Kommentare: